KINDNESS: [Kind • ness]
- The quality of being friendly, generous, and considerate:
He thanked them for their kindness and support.
- A kind act:
It would be a kindness on your part to invite her.
Blog Post #6
I just signed up to be a RAKtivist at the Random Acts of Kindness Foundation. Also known as ‘RAK’, the Foundation, encourages the spread of kindness throughout communities and neighbourhoods — everywhere — in the belief that benevolence can change the world.
What is a RAKtivist, you ask? Raktivist stands for Random Acts of Kindness activist. Basically, someone who is kind to others. Someone like you!
Acting with kindness is beneficial — being kind makes you feel good and it makes others feel good, too.
Watch this scientist talk about his research into kindness and its effect upon the brain.
Watch this video: The Science of Kindness by Live Vest Inside
I want to consciously spread kindness as much as I can. I think I’m fairly good at it already, but I want to do more acts of kindness, purposefully, and with intention.
There are any number of lists on the internet that offer ideas on ways to perform acts of kindness, big and small. Having a list reinforces my desire to carry out random acts of kindness and helps me come up with new ways to be kind.
Here is a list 10 of my favourite ideas:
- Bring cut up fruit or another healthy treat to the office to share with your co-workers.
- Reach out to a friend or relative that you haven’t seen in a while with an invitation to get together
- Post inspirational sticky notes around your neighborhood, office, or school
- Purchase an extra bag of dog or cat food and take it to an animal shelter.
- Smile and say hello to three people you pass in the street.
- Pay a compliment to a stranger while you’re standing in a line or the cashier as you’re paying your bill
- Text, Tweet or Facebook a positive message to three people right now.
- Pay for someone’s lunch when no one is watching — for a friend a co-worker or, even a stranger
- Send a gratitude email to a coworker who deserves more recognition.
- Write your partner a list of things you love about them.
As Henry James said, “Three things in human life are important. The first is to be kind. The second is to be kind. And the third is to be kind.”
Check out these Kindness sites:
What random of acts of kindness do you like to do? Share them in the comment section, I’d love to hear from you!
Brynne’s Daily Drawing #06